Thursday, August 1, 2013

Some People

I had heard before that some people feel like it is appropriate to say ANYTHING to you when you are pregnant. I had my first experience with that yesterday, and it was not enjoyable. I am sure it will only get worse as I grow, but this lady at the school yesterday felt the need to say that she could tell I was having a boy. Which is perfectly fine, most people proceed that comment with BY THE WAY YOU ARE CARRYING, or YOU ARE CARRYING LOW. Both perfectly fine. She, on the other hand, went on to say, "You're carrying your weight all like this and this. None here." And for the first THIS she put her hands by her hips and moved them outward, the second THIS did the same thing to her butt and for the NONE HERE- her stomach...where you are supposed to carry a baby. The worst part was that I was unaware until her comment that I was gaining in those places. I did not feel like I was. I felt like I was gaining only in my stomach, now I'm a little self-conscious. Who says that to someone?? Especially with hand motions! Really, lady?

As if that wasn't enough, she then went on to show me how the other pregnant lady at the school is carrying "All right here (doing the stomach thing again), like a basketball. Not all over like yours. She'll have a girl."
Ok, first of all, that is backwards. Boys are supposed to be only in the stomach, girls all over, but everyone carries differently. Second of all, if you ever feel the need to comment on how a pregnant woman is carrying stick to the SAFE PHRASES such as high or low unless they are only carrying in their stomach in which case you can tell them. Otherwise, do not point out where they are gaining weight, especially by placing your hands in that region and moving them outward. And third, if you absolutely must tell them where they are gaining weight, do not do it in front of a room full of people. It is quite embarrassing and a little annoying...especially if the woman, like me, is oblivious to the fact that she is gaining in the places you tell her. 

And I MAY have came home last night in an exhausted state after working in my room for 11 hours and examined every inch of where she said I had gained. And although I just gave a fake laugh when she said it, I MAY have also came up with some things I wish I had said back to her that were not very polite. Maybe next time. Moral of the story-Don't comment on pregnant women's weight unless it is something nice!

2 comments:

  1. I agree! People become socially awkward when they are talking to someone who is pregnant. I think you look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously. It's like they forget all their manners! Not smart when speaking to a crazy hormonal woman :)

    ReplyDelete