Sunday, May 26, 2013

Beach Blues

I love the beach. Love it. And I can't remember the last summer I didn't go to a beach. Until now. This summer we aren't going to be able to go (due to Brian not having days off and trying to save for baby) and it is killing me. All I can think about is laying out listening to the waves. Best thing ever. The last 2 summers we have went to Mexico and since we can't go this year, and it will probably be a long time before we get to go to another country again...just the 2 of us, I am reminiscing so here is a recap of our trip last summer.


Love
We drove 5 hours late Friday might to Texas where we caught an 8 am flight to Florida for a layover then next stop Mexico! It's always so nice to land, then you remember the waiting begins. Long lines, bag checks, passport checks, etc. Then we walk out to find our bus waiting. We always book a travel service to drive us anywhere we need to go while there and it has always been a good experience so far. They also set you up with brochures of various safe things to do outside of the resort and times for those activities.


Lunch break from the beach 

We made it to our resort about 2 and our room wasn't quite ready. They took our bags and we went exploring. I loved Mexico last time we were there, but I have to say this time was even better. This resort was huge and literally had something for everyone. We walked around, got a little lost, and ended up at a pizza place where Brian thought Tequilla shots were a good idea. Let me just say, Tequilla is never a good idea. However, we had a blast that night. Ended up spending most of the night at our favorite pool bar, and passed out bt 7. Hey, we had had a long night/day of traveling mixed with a little jet lag then some alcohol. Needless to say, we were up early the next day. The next few days were spent alternating between the beach and pool.

The day we arrived


As I said before this place had something for everyone. Let me start with the pools. There was the crazy party pool. It was the biggest pool and always had something crazy going on. From bikini contests to body shots, it was a little too crazy for me. And I must add, it wad also a fairly young crowd. Think high school graduates in Cabo. Then there was the family pool which oddly enough was in the middle. No pool bar, no contests, just families and kids. Then there was the older party pool. This is where we stayed. There was a pool bar and plenty of drunks but without all the screaming and wild contests. And by older, I'm talking 20s to 60s. It was by far the best fit for us. None of these pools were labeled but you could easily see what was what and where you belonged right away. We had a lot of fun at the resort and met a lot of great people from a family from Kentucky to a couple from Chicago to a group from the Phillipines and even some Australians and Russians.
Our Pool
In our favorite pool

We ventured out one day for something I had been wanting to do for a long time-ZIPLINING! This was by far one of my favorite memories ever! I had been wanting to zipline for a long time so as soon as we saw it in the brochure we knew we were going. We went to a place called Selvatica and it was amazing. We got suited up in our zipline gear, went through a short group training then we were off. It was a blast and I would definitely recommend going to anyone. In fact, I plan to go again one day. After ziplining, they drove our whole group over to a swimming hole with a zipline that fell into the water. I was too chicken to do that one but swam and watched Brian and others zipline in. From there we headed to the rainforest to plant trees! I'm not very creative so I just named mine Reyes. Brian named him BMFP...after Bobby Petrino who was still our coach at the time. Then they took us back to the place we checked in at for a free meal and beer while we watched a slide show and videos from the day. It was a perfect ending to the day. From there, we headed back to the resort and spent the afternoon, like most, at the beach.
Our names on the wall at Selvetica

After ziplining meal
My favorite thing to do
*I have to add, as we were leaving Selvetica one of the workers we had talked to all day told us to come back soon and bring our bambinos, to which we responded: We aren't having bambinos for a VERY long time. Looks like we will have to go back soon with our bambino afterall.
We had 6 crazy fun nights at the resort, met tons of people, and I finally got the zipline. Overall it was a perfect trip. And we will go back one day even if it isn't for a long long time.

Brian being serenaded at dinner 
On the way home, we were sick of all the Mexican food and stopped at In N Out. It was the best meal I have ever had. Yum!
Real American food finally!


No comments:

Post a Comment